Acrylic or Watercolour
REGISTRATION Opens October 12 and is done online
in the Visual Arts Studio South Surrey Rec. Centre
Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please arrive at 9:30 a.m. to set up
Cost: Member $165.00
Maximum of 16 people in the class so register early
Jane will lead you through visual exercises to study how the weight of things impact a composition and consider Value and Colour Priorities in paintings. Notan (black&white) structures will be discussed and made for various images to understand the balance and interest associated with their pattern and implied movement. Colour intensities, hues and values can impact a painting as much as value and this also will be studied. You will work from your photos, printed images from a book of your preference, still life objects and from your imagination. Jane will demonstrate technical aspects and colour mixing and give individual instruction. This class is meant to be a fun exploration of painting methods considering the values and colours in your paintings.
Preferred Supplies for Painting Classes with Jane Appleby
Acrylic Paints (or Watercolour equivalents):
- Golden, Liquitex, or equivalent tubes or fluids.
- Hansa Yellow Light Or Cadmium Lemon Yellow Lt, Quinacridone Magenta, any Red, Cerulean Blue or Phthalo Blue (Green shade or any), Cobalt Blue, Raw Umber
- Mars or Carbon Black or Payne’s Grey, Neutral Grey, Titanium White (W/C Chinese White or White Gouache)
- White Palette “Stay Wet” palette or ice cream bucket tops or large flat plates (not paper please)
- Lots of Synthetic Brushes: Good quality Synthetic such as H.J., Opus Brand and Acrylex
- 3 Flat, Angled or Filbert 1.5”,1”, 3/4” ½”, or ¼” (a variety)
- 3 Round with good point (no. 4 – no.12)
- Tiny Round with good tip (no. 00 – No.1)
- Paper and/or Canvas Boards: 8 x10 or 9 x 12, or 11 x 14 to paint on
- Drawing/Note Book, 11 x 14. Ring bound or equivalent with lots of pages.
- Pencil, Eraser, Prisma-colour Black Marker (or equivalent/sharpie), Brush Pens: Tombow ABT N15 black, Mid-grey N65 or N55 or equivalent. Optional one colour and Sepia No. 879 or 977
- Photo references and cropping tool (two L shaped papers ~ 2” wide), *A favourite book of Paintings
- Clear Tracing Paper
- Black paper, white paper (11 x 14 or size of board)
- Water Holders (2 – 500ml yogurt type)
- Rags/Paper towels for wiping and cleaning brushes
- Small Spray Bottle with water
- Carrying Bag or box: Plastic and/or cloth bags to carry paints and supplies
- Optional: Polymer Gloss Medium and Varnish – Liquitex or Golden Medium
- Optional: Portable Easel (folding or telescoping, wood or aluminum), table easel, or clip board
- Optional: Phone camera or small camera to take pictures of ideas.
Supplies available at OPUS Art Supplies, Frame Right Burnaby (604-299-9362) or Colours in Coquitlam. Questions call Jane: 604-802-4546